Translate

Translate

Thursday 14 November 2013

Days 1-9 Kiting Days 0-6

I've got a bit of time now, so I'm gonna try to summarise the initial days of our trip.



Friday 1st of November we (i.e. Myself and my sister) arrived to Fortaleza in the North-Eastern Brazil. The centre of this city is one of the ugliest and run-down that I've seen, it reminded me of the North Colombian city of Baranquilla. That night we slept in one of the worst hostels I've ever been and during my trip around South America five years ago I had been to many. The day after we set out for Jericoacoara. Jeri is a windsurfers paradise famous for strong winds. Also it's an exceptional town located entirely on sand (there is no single paved road); the bus drops you off an hour before and you get there by an all-terrain car.

It's surrounded by a national park founded to protect huge dunes (if you look closer at the photo you'll see that the dune is taking over the palms).



The wind was allegedly week, so instead of going straight to kiting on Sunday (the 3rd) we went for a passeio - a tour by the most popular local means of transport a buggy...


On the five hour tour we got the taste of what the Jerico surroundings have the best on offer...

... Pedra Furada...


.... Arvore da Preguica (Lazy Tree) ...


.... Lagoa Azul


At night we found the kite teacher - Fabio, known as Fabinho, nativo to Jericoacoara. Really nice bloke, he turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip.

So on Monday we set off for our first kite class at Guriu river mouth, around half an hour drive by buggy from town. The trip there iwas an adventure in itself...

... there is a river crossing ...


.... mangrove crossing ....

 ... and a long crossing along the beach with a complimentary sand peeling on any part of the body that sticks out from the buggy...

... and the spot itself, super flat water, never deeper than 1m, with a totally crazy wind always at least 25 knots and often more than 30. So in six days I managed to learn to ride both ways with the kite size ... 5m. Here, I am on my 6th day of kiting, I felt good that day, only few days later while stragling to water-start in choppy Cumbuco waters I realised how good and foregiving place Guriu was to start my kiting adventure.



And here is our last ride from Guriu on Saturday 9th (good capacity utilisation :))



No comments:

Post a Comment